RE: road runner with jaws

  • From: "matthew dyer" <mdyer1@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 20:28:17 -0500

Hi I happen to be on a wlan connection with roadrunner and using jfw.  =
It is
good.  There is no software to install but a dlink driver that may be =
with
your isp's router if they offer it.  The router that is here is apcx =
5000.
It works well.

HTH.

Matthew

if you want to chat with me you can use msn at matthewdyer483@xxxxxxx=20
=20
UIf you use aol my screen name is matTdD7
=20
From: "John Miller" <n1umj@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: RoadRunner with Jaws
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 09:48:13 -0500

Most of the new England area is cox, in your area, and comcast, in mine =
for=20
cable broadband internet, and that's I think $49.95 depending on if you =
rent

the cable modem as I do and I don't know how much it is if you don't. =
I'm=20
glad I do though.
----- Original Message -----=20
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 06:48:36 -0800
From: "Louis A. Lucero" <lclucero@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Black Ice or Norton fire wall=20

Hi List,
I am finally moving into the 21st century and getting DSL.  I am looking =

for recommendations for a usable fire wall product that will work with=20
JFW.  I have heard about Black ice and that Norton has some kind of =
Norton=20
Works that I believe has a fire wall.  Please assist.

Thanks,

Louis

"Luck is a product of hard work."
Louis A. Lucero =20

------------------------------

From: "dennis" <dennis.cornelison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Black Ice or Norton fire wall=20
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 08:40:57 -0600

I USE BLACK ICE AND ITS VERY ACCESSIBLE. YOU WON'T HAVE ANY PROBLEMS =
USING=20
IT.
----- Original Message -----=20

From: "John Miller" <n1umj@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Jaws 6.0 Draggs in forms mode
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 09:50:33 -0500

Nope,  ever since I got rid of a program I had called 4Ttray minimize, =
jaws=20
seems to run very fast, and doesn't even slow down after a few hours of =
use=20
like it did when I first installed it.
----- Original Message -----=20

------------------------------

From: "John Miller" <n1umj@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: jfw and windows 2000
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 09:52:10 -0500

you'd need jaws professional. personally, I like XP home better.
----- Original Message -----=20
From: "John Miller" <n1umj@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 09:58:17 -0500

I use Norton on my laptop and sygate for a firewall on my desktop, =
trying to

decide which I like the best, I like sygate, you can get that from the=20
jfwlite page, it's very good and once you set it up to let the programs=20
through you want through, you never even know it's there, when you =
access=20
the internet with a program for the first time like internet explorer, =
it=20
will come up and ask if you want to allow this program to access the=20
internet, you check the box to not ask you again and then hit enter on =
yes=20
and it won't ask you for that again, if you want details on a program =
that=20
wants to access the internet there's a details button, if you're not =
sure=20
you just hit enter on no,  I like it. Norton seems pretty similar but I =
do=20
prefer sygate. I had issues with it at first but I did figure that out, =
the=20
help forums for sygate are great for helping you though any minor issues =
you

might have, the setup is completely accessible with jaws, setting =
options=20
and all, I recommend it.
----- Original Message -----=20

------------------------------

From: "Hughs Mail" <hugh.megarry@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 15:03:25 -0000

Where can we get black ice from please=3D20

For email use hugh.megarry@xxxxxxxxxxxx=3D20
For M S N use hughmegarry@xxxxxxxxxxx
For Skype use hugh.megarry
All the best for now=3D20

=3D20

From: "Jack Lowe" <akronjack1982@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 10:08:00 -0500

I've not had Jaws slow down at all.  But in forms mode, the voice =
doesn't=20
keep up with the typing.
----- Original Message -----=20

From: "Jack Lowe" <akronjack1982@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: combo boxes
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 10:11:00 -0500

Hi Joanne,

Do you have a web site that I could look at where this problem is =
occurring?

I've not run into combo boxes where this has happened.  Jack
----- Original Message -----=20
From: "Ricque" <ricque@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 10:26:13 -0500

Hi John,
I have a question for you regarding Sygate.
If you are using Internet Explorer to access the internet,
and when you go to connect, Sygate pops up a dialogue, asking if you =
want to
allow this,
and you say, "yes", and then check the box telling it not to ask you =
again.
What happens if some type of mal-ware finds it's way onto your computer, =
and
tries to use Internet Explorer to access the internet to carry out it's
dirty deeds?
Ricque

From: "Joanne" <houseofmusic3345@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 10:28:48 -0500

Jack, it's one of my bill-pay places and unfortunately I can't find a =
spot=20
for you to see the combo boxes unless I'm signed in.  A friend says it =
looks

like a pull-down menu and there are these options like standard payment, =

rush payment, etc.  And when you tab it just seems you're in another one =
of=20
these darn pull-downs or whatever they're called.  I just didn't know if =

there was a keystroke to make Jaws see more of the screen so it would =
find=20
these buttons, or if maybe I should check something in config to =
maximize=20
its use in combo boxes like this one.  I've run across a couple others =
like=20
this so maybe they're not even real combo boxes but that's what jaws is=20
calling it.=20

------------------------------

From: "Judith Bron" <jbron@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Emailing: www.iespell.com
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 10:34:13 -0500

Is there an espell for word?
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 10:43:24 -0500
From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I do too; and just so you know, there's no advantage to jaws =3D
professional; it's not any better, nor does it have any advanced =3D
features; it simply costs more because windows 2000 is primarily used in =
=3D
a corporate environment, and so FS can charge them more.

Chip Orange
Database Administrator
Florida Public Service Commission

Chip.Orange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(850) 413-6314

 =3D20

Rather=3D20

------------------------------

From: "john r. vaughn" <jrvaughn44@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 10:48:27 -0500

Joanne, After you land on the combo box, when you go into forms mode, =
have=20
you tried doing a "list open" command which is alt key plus down arrow?=20
this usually works for me if there are issues of accessing a list.
John in sunny and warm southwest florida

------------------------------

From: "Jack Lowe" <akronjack1982@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 11:05:55 -0500

I saw a free program for word, but I don't recall the link.  I'll send =
it to

the list as soon as I find it.

----- Original Message -----=20

Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 10:11:03 -0600
From: Stephaine Hackney <christine097@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: I got my jaws disc today

Stephanie
Yes, I got my jaws 6.00 on Tuesday in the mail box. I got it installed =
on=20
yesterday morning. My computer trainer that helps me with my computer=20
lessons called me yesterday morning and we installed it then. I wish you =

good luck installing it.  I think it works great so far so good. I will =
talk

to you later.
----- Original Message -----=20
From: "Glenna Burgess" <purnplay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 10:15:01 -0600
From: Stephaine Hackney <christine097@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Stephanie
I use only Norton 2004 professional and my computer also has a fire wall =
on=20
it, too. The reason that I know it has a fire wall on it I noticed about =
it=20
while installing the  Jaws 6.0 yesterday. I will talk to you later.
----- Original Message -----=20

------------------------------

From: "Alan D. Katell, Ph.D." <katell@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Backup to HD solutions
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 11:21:29 -0500

Hi all,

I have been using Backup Exec 8.6 by Veritas to back up my LAN for about
3 years.  Because of an OS upgrade for one of my work stations, I had to
upgrade Backup Exec to version 9.0.  While the new version still works
very well with JAWS, it doesn't quite handle the backup duties as well
as the earlier version.  I am therefore considering other solutions.

Does anyone have experience with other network backup software that is
JAWS friendly?  I need to back up a WINDOWS 2000 server along with one
WINDOWS 98 SE and two XP PRO work stations.  I'm using JAWS 5.1.

Thanks for any ideas.

Alan

------------------------------

From: "Judith Bron" <jbron@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 11:27:18 -0500

Thanks, I appreciate it.

From: "Jack Lowe" <akronjack1982@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: ILM and Replacing components
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 11:38:50 -0500

Hi Everyone,
I've ordered a new CD burner for my computer because the one I have now =
died
on me.  I've heard that swapping out components in Jaws 6.0 will cause =
it to
not recognize your computer's personal ID number, and want you to
reauthorize Jaws.
Anyone know anymore about this? =20

------------------------------

From: "John Miller" <n1umj@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 11:43:49 -0500

It will say internet explorer is trying to access the internet but was=20
brought up by another program  and ask if you want to allow anyway. It =
knows

if another program is bringing up a program that was allowed before,  =
it's=20
pretty good how it does that.
----- Original Message -----=20

From: "John Miller" <n1umj@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 11:44:54 -0500

right, the program's exactly the same it's just the authorization that's =
a=20
little different, all in the interest of the might $$$
----- Original Message -----=20

From: "mslparent25" <mslparent25@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: JAWS Not Maintaining Focus On Web Pages
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 11:46:57 -0500

From: "Jack Lowe" <akronjack1982@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Emailing: spell
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 11:47:34 -0500

This may be the type of program that you're looking for.  Here's a =3D
little about the program.  The link is at the bottom of this message.  =
=3D
Jack.

DynaWares' Free

Spelling & Grammar Checker

Version 2 For Win9x, Me, NT, 2000, XP

Microsoft Word is REQUIRED.

This is a Fully free program from DynaWares. No strings, web =3D
connections, advertisements, or popups.

We give it away hoping that you will be so impressed that will develop =
=3D
an interest in our entire line of software.

Please visit our

Homepage

and check out our other programs. Some are free and some have a small =
=3D
one-time registration fee.

Article from the Bangkok Post

DynaWares Home Page

Download the Spelling Checker

Highlight the text you want to check then left click the "check mark" =
=3D
program icon in the system tray (next to the clock) to spell check.

Right clicking the program icon will show these options:

Check Spelling Now: will spell check the highlighted text in your =3D
document.

Check Spelling and Grammar: will spell check the highlighted text in =3D
your document.

Quick Check Window: will launch a small window where you can type a =3D
word/words you would like to check.

Automatically Correct: will replace your highlighted text with the =3D
corrected text after it has been spell checked.

Include Graphics: will allow you to spell check Rich text documents that =
=3D
contain fancy text or pictures without loosing the fancy stuff.

Warning: when using Graphics mode a carriage return may be inserted at =
=3D
the beginning or end of the text you highlighted.

Send a Date (Calendar): will launch a small window with a Calendar. =3D
Click on a date and it will be sent to the current cursor position in =
=3D
the window in

which you are working.

Strip Control Codes: will strip the text that is currently in the =3D
clipboard of all control codes, colors, and graphics. This can come in =
=3D
very handy when

Cutting and Pasting

The following is an article that appeared in the Bangkok Times on August =
=3D
29, 2001

Check your spelling

Wanda Sloan

You can't get away from the fact that most computers are used, most of =
=3D
the time, to work with words. Here is a dandy utility to help you with =
=3D
any kind of

writing.

Many Post Database folk preach that it is silly to start up a huge word =
=3D
processor every time you want to send a note or memo. Here is a lovely =
=3D
little program

that allows you to use your Microsoft Word spell checker on any text, =
=3D
any time, without going through the hassle of using Word at all.

DynaWares' Spell Checker will check any text you mark in a block. It =3D
calls the MS Word spelling program module for this. That means you have =
=3D
the full power

of your primary (probably) spell checker without the overhead of the =3D
word processor.

The free spell checker front-end also will do some rough formatting of =
=3D
your marked text _ in an editor, email program or anywhere at all _ such =
=3D
as removing

control codes and extra, unwanted characters.

So it won't get confused over wanted and unwanted codes, the program has =
=3D
a special mode that you can invoke if you are using it to check spelling =
=3D
in formatted

text, including text with pictures.

The program will also call the Microsoft Word grammar checker to go over =
=3D
your highlighted text. When you have finished, it writes the corrected =
=3D
data right

into your document, just like MS Word does on Word documents.

You can start the Spell Checker at any time, even at startup if you =3D
intend to use it a lot. The program sits in the system tray, using =3D
almost no resources,

until you are ready. At that point you mark the text you wish to check, =
=3D
and then right click on Spell Checker and tell it go check spelling or =
=3D
grammar.

Free Spelling Checker is available at www.dynawares.com.

Shortcut to: http://www.dynawares.com/spell.htm

From: "John Miller" <n1umj@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: ILM and Replacing components
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 11:49:51 -0500

that's true,  I added something to my computer and did that but,  it =
doesn't

seem to cost you any authorizations, I might be wrong but I had a =
problem=20
and had to do it a few times and it didn't say I was out of =
authorizations=20
and I know I had to put the number in 3 times on this computer and once =
on=20
my laptop.
----- Original Message -----=20

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 10:52:35 -0600
From: Stephaine Hackney <christine097@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Stephanie, no I do not know any thing about that stuff. I will talk to =
you=20
later. Good luck.
----- Original Message -----=20

------------------------------

From: "Jack Lowe" <akronjack1982@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 12:01:04 -0500

thanks John,

I don't mind it so much, but isn't Jaws getting just a little nosey?  =
Now if

you change anything like CD burners, floppy drives, or anything like =
that,=20
it gives you fits?
----- Original Message -----=20

From: "Sean McMahon" <smcmahon@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 10:23:53 -0700

The necessity of an ethernet card depends entirely on your cable modem.
Some
are usb, some are ethernet and some can handle both.  If you want to =
connect
computers to a router and connect that to a cable modem, you probably =
want
ethernet cards on the computers you are connecting.  If you have a =
choice,
use
whatever you feel most comfortable with provided it will work.  Both
ethernet
and usb work with win98 provided the driver for the usb modem and =
ethernet
are
supported or given to you.A note about ethernet and win98: I found that
after
installing my ethernet card, windows wanted a password after I rebooted.
You
don't really need a password here.  Just hit escape or enter or just =
make
something up and you're good to go. If you have a firewall running =
before
you
install the cable modem, turn it off during the installation process.
----- Original Message -----=20
From: "Judith Bron" <jbron@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Emailing: spell
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 12:24:05 -0500

Thank you so much for this!  A few questions, I'm not the greatest tech
brain in the world.  The way I understood the text this spell checker =
will
only work on highlighted text; is this true?  Do you highlight the whole
document or just the word you want checked?  Does it over ride the spell
checker in MS Word?  Do I have the option to add or ignore words?  I =
hope
I'm not imposing on anyone for these answers but some of my documents =
are
over 500 pages long and I need this information.  Thanks to all of you,
Judith

From: "Chris Jenkins" <saveup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: close the help topic in Microsoft outlook 2003
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 12:28:12 -0500

Is it possible to close the help topic in Microsoft outlook version =
2003?

***This is Microsoft outlook not outlook express.

------------------------------

From: "Jack Lowe" <akronjack1982@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 12:30:45 -0500

Judith, we should do this off list.  But I don't understand something.  =
If=20
you have MS word and a spell checker, why do you want another one?  Or =
am I=20
missing something here.  I have Office 2002 Pro with MS Word.  It has a=20
spell checker that installs with the program.  So, why the need for =
another=20
one?
I'm a little confused.  Jack

akronjack1982@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
----- Original Message -----=20
> Thank you so much for this!  A few questions, I'm not the greatest =
tech
> brain in the world.  The way I understood the text this spell checker =
will
> only work on highlighted text; is this true?  Do you highlight the =
whole
> document or just the word you want checked?  Does it over ride the =
spell
> checker in MS Word?  Do I have the option to add or ignore words?  I =
hope
> I'm not imposing on anyone for these answers but some of my documents =
are
> over 500 pages long and I need this information.  Thanks to all of =
you,
> Judith

August=20

From: "John Miller" <n1umj@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 12:31:59 -0500

yup,  adding memory too as I found.
----- Original Message -----=20
> I don't mind it so much, but isn't Jaws getting just a little nosey?  =
Now=20

From: "Sean McMahon" <smcmahon@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 10:33:18 -0700

Having never used cable, I can't say which is more stable.  dsl here in =
AZ.
works pretty well.  The best advise I heard when choosing a broadband
provider
and line provider is choose one which maintains there own lines be it =
cable
or
dsl.  Make sure your broadband provider is or supports your isp.  I.E.  =
If
dsl
through your phone company isn't stable, choosing like aol won't help =
you,
it's
all the same lines.
----- Original Message -----=20
From: "John Miller" <n1umj@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 12:33:25 -0500

there's an easy way around that password thing in windows 98,  just go =
in to

control panel, enter on network, then tab to primary network log on and=20
select windows family log on,  it won't ask for a password anymore.
----- Original Message -----=20

------------------------------

From: "Sean McMahon" <smcmahon@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 10:35:22 -0700

Hmmmm...  Maybe, I have noticed the jaws is less responsive with my bns.
----- Original Message -----=20

From: "Sean McMahon" <smcmahon@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 10:37:48 -0700

some what on the subject, is there a way to get at the setup or
configuration of
your cable modem?  btw, to the person who sent the last message on this
thread,
I see we have another Fox and the Hound fan.
----- Original Message -----=20
From: "Jack Lowe" <akronjack1982@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 12:43:12 -0500

I think I know what you're asking.
The initial internet connection setup can be done in control =
panel/internet=20
options.  From there, you can set up a LAN, local area network, =
connection.=20
Or a dialup connection.  Which ever one you want to use.
----- Original Message -----=20

From: kstarrett5@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 18:50:18 +0000

Hi Linda,
To enable ignore flash on web pages do the following:

1 Hold down the Jaws key and press 6 on the top row of keys to open the
settings for ie
2 Press alt s
3 Arrow down to html settings and hit enter
4 Tab back once then arrow to the right until you reach the misc tab
5 Tab until you hear "ignore flash on web pages" and hit the spacebar to
check the box

Remember to save the change before returning to your application.

Hth,
Kimberly

-------------- Original message --------------=20

>=20
>=20
> -----Original Message-----=20
and=20
> have had a focus problem. I found a temporary solution by using the =
real=20
> mouse left click and not the jaws mouse keystroke and it got me back =
the=20
> place where I was at.=20
>=20
> Linda Parent=20
>=20
>=20
> --=20
> To unsubscribe from this mailing list, send a message to=20
> jfw-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word unsubscribe in the subject =
line.=20
> Archives located at: //www.freelists.org/archives/jfw=20
>=20
> If you have any concerns about the list, post received from the list, =
or
the way=20
> the list is being run, do not post them to the list. Rather contact =
the
list=20