Re: replying privately to a list message with Jaws 8

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 19:04:59 -0800

After reading the wide variety of responses to the question about this, I would
just like to say that, as a Jaws 7 user, the instructions below are exactly
what I did to enable me to use Control Shift R for this purpose.  I imagine
others who posted about their own methods may be using different Jaws versions
, maybe version 8.  What with all the conflicting suggestions to use the Jaws
key and other keystrokes in various combinations.  But for anyone using Jaws 7,
the below directions work.

To clarify, this is about replying to just the one, single person who sent a
message to the list and to whom you'd like to respond privately.  That's all.
I don't know what some of the other explanations have been about, but this is
what was being asked originally.  This works for the Jaws versions Jerry
specifies, of course, and not for other versions.

---
Jerry wrote:

It started with 7, and here are the instructions.

In JAWS 7, there are new scripts in both the Outlook and
Outlook Express script files that, when enabled, allow you to reply directly
to the individual who sent a message to a list without replying to the whole
list. The scripts are named ReplyDirectlyToSender and here's how to enable
them:

1. Open your e-mail program, Outlook or Outlook Express. This function is
not available to Eudora users.
2. Press INSERT+8 to open the Keyboard Manager.
3. If necessary, press TAB once to move focus into the list if individual
scripts within the script source file.
4. In the list of scripts, locate the ReplyDirectlyToSender script.
5. Press CTRL+A to assign a keystroke to this script. I used CTRL+SHIFT+A
since it wasn't assigned to anything else, but you can use any other
unassigned keystroke.
6. Press TAB once and uncheck the check box that asks if you want to assign
the keystroke only to whatever keyboard configuration (desktop or laptop)
you're using.
7. TAB to the OK button and press ENTER.
8. Press ENTER again to save and exit.