Re: removing authorization key, putting it back later

  • From: "John Heim" <jheim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 14:39:15 -0600

Reading up on the authorization scheme makes it clear that this will happen, the universe is unfolding as it should. FS is also extremely good about resetting authorizations very quickly, no questions asked.

1. I shouldn't have to "read up on the authorization scheme".
2. I already said i understand how it works *technically* -- my point was that i think it's bogus. 3. It's ridiculous to have to get reauthorized just because i swapped out my CD-ROM drive. I don't care how many ways you spin that, it's still stupid. 4. Though FS is fairly quick about handing out reauthorizations, while I'm waiting, , I'm stuck either without a CD-ROM drive or without jaws.

I'm not necessarily saying the old scheme was better. That one had it's problems too. I think when I'm paying $1000 for a piece of software, it ought not have a problem like this.

FS is so wooried that their software will be pirated that they're turning off paying customers like myself. I now have a Macintosh and am learning to use VoiceOver. VoiceOver is already almost good enough for me to switch to full time. I'm hoping the next release puts it over the top. Second, I have begun to install Window-Eyes on all PCs I set up along with Jaws. That way once in a while, I can give Window-eyes a spin. Finally, I have a linux machine and am about to give Orca a try.

PS: VoiceOver and orca are free.