really need help with outlook 2003

Hello,I am trying to get back to e-mail after a a week when I had to buy a
win7 machine and found that  I am forced to use outlook 2003 as outlook
express apparently will not be able to function in win7.  Can someone please
tell me how to simplify outlook instead of having links etc?  Are the
commands the same and how do I change the message order so the top has the
past messages and the bottom has the messages just comming in the box?   I
know that some claim that you can make outlook express work but, I here it
is difficult unless you are good with computers.  Also is there an easy
program out there like outlook express?  So far I find I really don't like
microsoft outlook but perhaps if I can simplify the process, it might be
easier!  Thank you so much! Heather