Re: realSpeak

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 13:05:51 -0800

Hi,

Well, I have a feeling I've heard this explanation before, and it sounds
right.  And thanks for making me grin with the Parker reference.  But I
confess I have no idea how some Jaws users can do this sort of aural and
mental multitasking, unless turning down what's meant to be background music
really low is the key.  I sometimes work at the computer with music playing
on my stereo (most recently Branford Marsalis with Harry Connick, Jr.), and
I can deal with that.  But I can't imagine using the computer speakers right
in front of me for both, no matter what the contrast in volume levels.  It's
stressful enough the way I begin my day, with Morning Edition playing on the
radio or the tuner at the same time that I'm surfing the New York Times
Online and latimes.com and reading articles and commentary.  I think most
people would have an immediate nervous breakdown after ten minutes of
subjecting themselves to such confusion. I can't imagine having the computer
acting schizoid, all day, after that! :-)