Re: performance of DECTalk Access 32

  • From: Stacey Robinson <staceyr75@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 13:39:09 +1200

Hi Tony,
Thanks.
Stacey and  GEB Dog Chesley

staceyr75@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

----- Original Message -----
From: "Diamond" <tantonio@xxxxxxxxxx
To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date sent: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 13:23:00 -0500
Subject: Re: performance of DECTalk Access 32

Stacey, I use both and although there is a difference, they sound
and
respond pretty close to each other.

Tony
An English professor wrote on the blackboard:
Punctuate this sentence: 'Woman without her man is nothing'.
The men wrote: 'Woman, without her man, is nothing.'
All the women wrote: 'Woman! Without her, man is nothing.'

From: "Adrian Spratt" <A.Spratt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date sent: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 23:31:12 -0500

It's curious. Gary King is correct in saying that Dectalk USB is
inferior.
Among other things, I find it less responsive, but above all, as
Gary says,
it's not as clear as Dectalk Express. Unfortunately, Dectalk
Express is hard
to find, while Dectalk USB is readily available, such as from
IRTI.  I prize
my Dectalk Express and earnestly hope it doesn't break down.

For anyone wondering, both Dectalk Express and USB are external
synthesizers.  Dectalk Access 32 is a software version.
From: "Gary King" <w4wkz@xxxxxxxx

Just don't ever purchase a DECtalk USB thinking it is going to
sound like
either a DECtalk Express or DECtalk Access32. I only use my
DECtalk USB when
it is absolutely necessary. It sounds like it was programmed by
someone who
is not a native English speaker. It reminds me of some of the
readers I had
in college a number of years ago.

I use DECtalk Access32 that I purchased from GW Micro most of the
time for
reading EBooks, but I am trying out some of the RealSpeak voices
that came
with JAWS 8.0.

Gary King w4wkz@xxxxxxxx