Re: performance of DECTalk Access 32

  • From: "Gary King" <w4wkz@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 00:16:49 -0600

Both the DECtalk Express and DECtalk USB are external, hardware-based speech
synthesizers that are supported by JAWS.  DECtalk Express connects to a
serial port.  DECtalk USB can connect either to a serial port or to a USB
port.  When connected to a serial port, JAWS will recognize the DECtalk USB
as a DECtalk Express.  When connected to a USB port, it is installed as
DECtalk USB.  The DECtalk Express is powered by an internal rechargeable
battery, not user replaceable.  The DECtalk USB can be powered either by a
regular 9-volt battery or by the USB port.  Both synthesizers have 9 voices
with the traditional DECtalk names.  Unfortunately, the folks who programmed
the DECtalk USB did not have access to the speech algorithms used in
original DECtalk products.  As a result the DECtalk USB has a different
reading cadence and different word pronunciations than the original DECtalk
line.

If you want a DECtalk Express, you will have to find one on the used market,
since they are no longer in production.  If you want a DECtalk USB, you can
get one for $650, or probably a lot less from a dissatisfied user.  By the
way, I'm keeping mine only because it comes in handy once in a while.

As a further note, DECtalk Access32, which is the speech synthesizer
mentioned in the subject line, sounds a lot more like the original DECtalk
Express or DECtalk PC than does the DECtalk USB.

Gary King
w4wkz@xxxxxxxx

----- Original Message ----- From: "Whitefang" <whitefang@xxxxxxx>