Re: not a genuine copy of windows

  • From: Chris Skarstad <toonhead5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 20:52:52 -0500

hi. I bet you it's probably spam. Microsoft does not usually make a habbit of just mass e-mailing people telling them that they must upgrade immediately. I would just trash the messages.
Ok, since this is off topic, i'm shutting up immediately.

At 07:52 PM 6/11/2006, you wrote:
No, this is not a topic suitable for the list, nor is it a screenreader issue. I would, however, suggest that you explain your situation to Microsoft if it poses a problem. It shouldn't, however.

James,
List Admin

At 08:27 PM 6/11/2006, you wrote:
Good evening folks. My apologies to the list and to the moderator if this topic should be considered off topic. While I seriously doubt that my issue is a screen reader problem, there may be a link.

Very surprisingly, two days ago, Microsoft began sending me messages to the effect that my copy of XP Pro is not a genuine copy of Windows. I am urged to purchase a Windows Advantage kit to resolve this problem. I am using a corporate version of XP Pro, purchased at the university where I teach. We have a license from Microsoft to duplicate and distribute XP at low prices to faculty members.

If anyone else has received this kind of unwarranted message, I would be interested to hear of it and what solutions might be available. After countless hours of installing programs on this machine, I am not at all eager to plant another version of XP on this laptop unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks to everyone.

Jerry

-- JFW related links: JFW homepage: http://www.freedomscientific.com/ Scripting mailing list: http://lists.the-jdh.com/listinfo.cgi/scriptography-the-jdh.com JFW List instructions: To post a message to the list, send it to jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx To unsubscribe from this mailing list, send a message to jfw-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word unsubscribe in the subject line. Archives located at: //www.freelists.org/archives/jfw