re:

  • From: "Alan Clendinen" <alanclendinen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 04:43:38 -0500

Kerri,

Thanks for your informative reply. The Adobe Reader PDF ebook I bought came
from ebooks.com. I have figured out how to access this ebook using Adobe
Acrobat Reader 7 by going into the View menu, opening the Navigation
submenu, and putting a check on "Pages." Now when I read each page of the
ebook (using the PC cursor) and get to the end of the page, I simply press
the F6 function key until JAWS says "Pages" and then I can arrow down
through a list of buttons which are labeled with numbers representing each
page of the ebook. I arrow to the page-button I want to read and press the
spacebar, and Adobe Reader loads that page and begins reading it.

The only down-side to not being able to use the screen-reader accessibility
options to configure the page layout, is when you are trying to read an
ebook which has text-boxes or multiple column layout. JAWS will try to read
across both columns, mixing the text from the columns together. But as long
as the ebook has a standard layout, Adobe Reader can access it by this
method.

Alan

Kerri wrote:

Unfortunately, from what I have seen and learned, the adobe ones are not
accessible.
Get the Mobipocket ones or the Pom Reader (formerly called ereader)  It is
available from ereader.com I think.
I definitely know the mobipocket ones can be read with Jaws that are secure.
If ebooks.com does not have them in Mobipocket format another great source
with similiar pricing and around the same selection of books is
fictionwise.com.  If you read ebooks with Mobipocket reader, you have to use
the Jaws cursor
and it is a little complicated to do but it is possible.

A great site which gives instructions on how to use all the formats with
Jaws and tells a lot about reading Ebooks and which ebooks can be read using
secure
formats can be found at:
http://www.panix.com/~kestrell/sources.html

Hope this helps.