Re: neo speech voices

  • From: "Adrian Spratt" <A.Spratt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 08:28:20 -0500

Michael,

I'm especially fond of Audrey's ATT voice, and I wish I could use her more
often.  I bought and installed several ATT Voices and was disappointed to find
I can't rely on them despite their pleasant tonal quality.  I'm not alone in
finding that Audrey swallows a lot of words, as all the ATT voices do in
varying degrees.  Also, if you work with a word processor or care about editing
your email, ATT's voices don't respond as fast or accurately as synthesizers
designed expressly to work with adaptive software, such as JAWS.  In that
regard, Eloquence is much better, though I personally can't stand the Eloquence
voice.  I realize it costs more, but Dectalk best balances accuracy and tonal
quality among the synthesized voices I've heard.  I'm not talking about Dectalk
32, which I haven't used but which another lister recently criticized for
reasons I'm sure I'd share.