RE: need opinions on jaws pro and xp pro

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 12:38:00 -0500

Who-ever told you that  is the reason why your network attempts aren't
working should not be relied upon for future advice! :(

They (xp/home and xp/pro) network just fine; however, by default, they
come up with different "work group" or "network" names, and you must
change one or the other so that they match.  Use the network setup
wizard on each one, and this should be one of the questions that it asks
you when setting up a network for you.  Enter the same thing for both
pcs and you'll be fine.

You will need either a router (or hub or switch), or a special
"cross-over" Ethernet cable if you plan to run a cable directly from one
pc to the other (which I would not advise).

If you're planning to pay to have your house wired for Ethernet, think
about going wireless instead; often it can be cheaper, and it allows you
the freedom of placing the pcs where-ever you like.

Hth,

Chip

Chip Orange
Database Administrator