navigating in Open Office Writer with Jaws

  • From: "Douglas Richard Dexheimer" <drichardd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <users-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "jfw" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 21:13:07 -0600

Hi. I recently experienced some complications with Microsoft Word, and am now trying to get the hang of using Open Office Writer. I find it much harder to access menus and dialogs, edit documents, find and replace, replace special control characters, etc. like I could do with Word. In Word I could use special characters to find/replace tabs, carriage returns, page breaks, etc. This feature doesn't seem handy in Office. When using Find/Replace (Control+f), Jaws doesn't speak the current control in focus unless I read current line, or read the Focus display to find the blinking cursor. Control+H doesn't work with Replace; it's in the Find dialog and I have to press Tab repeatedly to determine which control has current focus. Jaws doesn't clearly specify what control or menu item is hightlighted, and pressing Tab or arrow keys generates no response unless I press Insert+Up Arrow to read current line. I tried accessing the help menu in Office but haven't found that very accessible either. Any ideas to make Office more accessible with Jaws (I have 11 and 12, and they both seem to behave similarly), to navigate in menus and dialogs? Thanks for your input.

 Douglas Richard Dexheimer
  Chief of Braille Production
    Born Again Productions
 Friedman Place Room #308