Re: mouse overs with Jaws

  • From: "E.J. Zufelt" <lists@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 19:09:20 -0300

Good afternoon,

Just to clear some things up:

1. Web 2.0 can be completely accessible and normally does not require ARIA.

2. Flyout or Popup menus on web-sites have nothing to do with Web 2.0

3. ARIA (accessible rich internet applications) is most useful for making web based applications more accessible, it would possibly add accessibility to the popup menus on this site, but the menus could be made accessible without ARIA.

4. ARIA is only supported by some assistive technology / browser pairs at the moment and should only be used where no other solution is reasonable.

HTH,
Everett

On 24-Mar-09, at 7:01 PM, Zaheer Sheikh wrote:

Hey Renette,

Actually, you are right. After pressing enter on the link nothing
changes. I had to use Jaws curser to move to the "Disabeled Swimming"
link, and then press the down arrow key to read the popup menu.

I think that this website used web 2.0 coding, which is not accessible
with screen readers, unless, they add Aria scripts to their website.

You can go to the contact us link on the homepage. There is a form on
this page to send "Website Feedback". Let them know that their website
is not accessible with screen readers. I'm sure that they will fix it.

On 3/24/09, Carpenter, Elizabeth <ecarpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It's even easier that having him install JAWS.  Simply take his mouse
away from him then ask him to navigate the site by using only the TAB
key.  He won't be able to go anywhere.

The "onMouseOver" function, used in a lot of programming and scripting
languages, only works when the mouse is hovering over the object the
function is attached to. When one tabs to a link or button, that link
or button has focus, but the mouse curser could be nowhere near it.

Can he use an "onFocus" function? When something gets focus, either by
tabbing OR by clicking with a mouse, the function will run.