Re: list messages

  • From: "Dale Leavens" <dleavens@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 19:20:27 -0400

Actually disturbing cables a little from time-to-time can be a good thing.
What happens is that where the pins come into contact with each other the
fact that they are dissimilar metals in varying degrees of humidity and in
the presence of electrical flow can and often will cause corrosion to occur.
Good quality equipment will have gold plating which minimizes this "battery"
effect but it can still happen. Movement of the connections causes a little
friction and a little abrasion which helps keep the contacts sound. Too much
movement of course can result in weak warn connections.
Occasionally when a  computer acts up some peripheral or other, simply
reseating the chips or the peripheral boards will correct the problem. One
common feature of this is an intermittent problem.

Of course this may have nothing to do with what you are experiencing however
it also might.

Hope this is helpful.