late response to some of Brandon's Word questions

  • From: Michael Arnowitt <MA@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2010 21:41:51 -0400

Brandon,

I'm using Word 2007 but used to use Word 2002 so think some of my advice here may be relevant to you. To jump to a page, control + g, then type in the page number and enter, and the cursor will skip to that page.

I have been told that if Word seems temporarily frozen, causing you to have to wait a few seconds, that may be because it is doing an auto-save. In other words, when it is doing an auto-save, it prevents you from typing, etc. I think the default is that it auto-saves every 10 minutes, you can change this if you feel this is too frequent to however many minutes you want, which may be OK if you are good at remembering to save your own work frequently, or if your computer doesn't crash much.

Using the control + f find feature: I agree Jaws doesn't always read the line that the highlighted word lands on. I sometimes have to press escape to get the find dialog box to close, then up arrow and down arrow back to the line and you can hear if you are in the right place. Also, if your right hand is on the number pad area, instead of up arrow, down arrow, insert + num pad 8 will read the line. If you need to get to the next occurrence of your search term, as Dave said in a recent thread, shift + F4 works, or if you don't remember that, just down arrow once to get past the line you're currently on, press control + f again and you will not need to retype in your search word as it will still be there from the search you just did. If you have a focus problem in Word, it may be that the find box is sort of in a halfway house, that is, it didn't really totally vanish from the screen. Try ctrl + f again and escape to try to get it to close better.

When you do a save, I agree with the poster who said go to the folder you want to save it to first, then go to the file name field and type in the name (the reverse order of the way you were doing it). I also feel that if after the shift + tab to get to the folder area, you press home first, it should put you at the top of the folder list and then if you do first letter navigation it should bring you to the folder before any individual file that happens to begin with your letter.

By the way, if you have a folder you want to be at the top of a list, when naming the folder, put the number 0 before the rest of the words in the title, then it will go first alphabetically and as was said, when you are in the save in part of the dialog box you can press space bar then enter to make it save in that folder. Frankly, I don't think the spacebar part should be necessary, on my computer when navigating around the list of folders, it automatically highlights whatever folder you've jumped to with first letter navigation, or pressing the home key. But it can't hurt to press space bar.
Good luck,
Michael

Alternative archives located at: