Re: laptop, jaws and numeric keyboard

  • From: "Adrian Spratt" <A.Spratt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 13:50:40 -0400

Actually, the advantage of using a numpad with a laptop is that you can retain JAWS's full keyboard settings, as opposed to the different JAWS laptop layout, and continue using the insert key as the JAWS key. Be warned, however, that a previous thread on this or a related list indicated that sometimes the keys on the independent numpad don't always function as we expect. In my case, the 5 on the numpad won't say the current character. However, everything else works fine when I use the numpad with my laptop.

If you encounter a problem with the numpad not functioning exactly as you expect, one solution can be to reassign functions to other keystrokes. However, it is critical that the insert key work as a JAWS key. I don't recall anyone reporting that problem occurring.