Re: jfw Digest V1 #122

  • From: "Phil Halton" <philhalt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 19:01:55 -0400

I wrote to the origional poster of this thread off-list, but its probably
good information for everybody so here it is again as I learned from FS.
The problem is in the file system format.  Windows9X and ME systems used the
FAT or FAT32 file system format.  WindowsXP uses the newer NTFS file system
format.  The two aren't compatible, and a jaws auth disk that works for 9x &
ME systems won't work on XP systems.  Anyone migrating or upgrading to XP
from 9x or ME will no doubt encounter this problem.  The solution is to get
a auth disk formatted specifically for the XP operating system (which is to
say, formatted in NTFS format) from FS.  Keep your old auth disk though,
because if you go back to FAT or FAT32 for some reason, your XP auth disk
won't work there just as the FAT disk won't work on XP.  If you get someone
at FS who doesn't know about this-which can happen-tell them you changed
operating systems from 9x to XP (or changed file system formats from FAT to
NTFS more accurately) and just ask them to humor you and issue the new auth
disk for your operating system file format.