Re: jaws volume

  • From: "Dale Leavens" <dleavens@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 18:02:49 -0400

It is not technically possible to alter the volume of Jaws with software.
Freedom Scientific is powerless in that regard.

The volume of the sound card can be altered and the volume of some of the
channels into that card can be altered, for example CD volume or Mike volume or
even the Midi device however the output of the software synthesizer is fed to
the sound card just like MP3 output or .wav.

You can reduce CD volume presented to the sound card which will leave Jaws
relatively louder and you can reduce the wav out volume which will reduce the
volume of jaws and any other device on that channel which will include MP3 and
windows sounds relative to the CD player or the midi device. If the sound card
had more than one wave volume control or channel and there was some way of
having the sound card select what will use which channel then it would be
possible but this is a computer hardware and firmware design issue.

Hope this helps people understand why it is necessary to have a second sound
device to split the software synthesizer off to.

Dale Leavens, Cochrane Ontario Canada
DLeavens@xxxxxxx
Skype DaleLeavens