Re: jaws update continued

  • From: Alex Midence <alex.midence@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 10:43:39 -0500

I hope they do continue with the monthly update trend then.  I think
this product is headed for a decline in the upcoming years if the
philosophy they've adopted with how they put out new versions doesn't
change.  Products like NVDA, System Acces to go and, even, window Eyes
are cheaper and can all of them do something that Jaws does not.
Their designers also seem to pay very close attention to feedback and
suggestions and lack the complacency FS seems to have.  I firmly
believe that the only thing that is keeping Jaws popular is that
people don't want to have to learn a brand new approach to reading a
screen and a whole new set of keystrokes.  A lot of people I've talked
to ahve told me that they are seriously considering letting their
SMA's expire with Jaws and make a switch to something else.  I really
hope they turn this around at FS though.  I'm one of those who would
hate to make the switch though I will if I keep having issues with
running into software that won't work with it but will with other
screen readers.  Take Powerpoint and Open Office.  Powerpoint is a
major piece of software that everyone in the workforce has on their
machine just about.  Jaws won't read the notes and outline panes in
2007 but other screen readers will.  Why aren't they looking into
this?  Open Office is a free suite that anyone can download and use
and it is becoming more and more popular.  There's a whole state in
the U.S. that uses it as its productivity suite of choice.  It's free
price tag makes it so that even people who don't have a job (big chunk
of the blind community, aka, their market) can obtain it and use it.
But, it works like crap with Jaws because they haven't gotten their
act together and figured out a way to make Jaws talk to stuff running
on a Java platform.  NVDA, a free screenreader, does much better
though not perfectly with it.  But, hey, it's free.  Jaws isn't free
and works poorly with it though, help with getting it to work better
seems to be on the way though indirectly.  It's been left up to end
users to figure this stuff out.
There's someone on another list I'm on who has started trying to crack
this nut on his own.  He's got it partway done for Window eyes and is
working on getting java apps to run in JFW using something called a
Java Native Api.  Now, why can't FS do this?  Last one and I'll stop,
here, folks.  There's an html editor out there put out by the w3c, the
very people who they refer developers to in order to create sites in
such a way that their software can read them to us.  The editor itself
though has been neglected by FS even though it's on its 11th version
(not a new product.   The wc3, on the other hand, has done all sorts
of things like labeling buttons, fixing the menus to be accessible,
adding a buch of hotkeys, but FS  has done nothing to take the ball
and run with it.
They charge a thousand bucks for this product to a market made up of
people who don't always have easily accessible cash because employment
can be rather tenuous for some.  That ought to go for something.  Very
sorry about this rant,  I did not mean to get so carried away.

Have a nice day, all

Alex