Re: jaws spelling

  • From: Judith Bron <jbron@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 18:28:43 -0500

MessageI stand corrected.  Thanks!
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Flor Lynch
  To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Tuesday, December 12, 2006 6:22 PM
  Subject: Re: jaws spelling

  I've gone to Wikipedia, the well-known free on-line encyclopaedia, and here's
a summary.  Good news!  The phonetic alphabet can be either the linguistics
representation or it can be a  phonetic spelling alphabet (where words stand
for letters) , the object of our debate.

  Phonetic alphabet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  You can
  support Wikipedia
   and the Wikimedia Foundation by making a
  tax-deductible
  donation.

  Phonetic alphabet
  From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  Phonetic alphabet can mean:

  list of 1 items
  . Phonetic transcription
   system: for transcribing the precise sounds of human speech into writing.
  list of 2 items nesting level 1
  . International Phonetic Alphabet
   the most widespread such system
  . Category:Phonetic alphabets
   others
  list end nesting level 1
  list end
  list of 1 items
  . Spelling alphabet
  : a set of words used instead of alphabetic letters in radio communication;
each word stands for its initial letter
  list of 1 items nesting level 1
  . NATO phonetic alphabet
   the most widespread such set