Re: jaws and numbers:

  • From: <ptusing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 19:42:57 -0500

HI,
Suppose your work deals with reading  numbers like quarterly estimates or
your are  reading a textbook with numbers on a line.
The  Insert numpad 5  hit twice quickly will read where  you are, but one
advances too slowly across arow of  numbers.
To that end, F S gave us "say next word" which  worked fine with JAWS 3.5.
I  used 3.5 and 4.5 and 5 for a long time  until X P disallowed the use of
3.5 which read numbers correctly  as  1 entity.
So  suppose--excluding this or  any email--you
type some  numbers  like 1.23  4.56 6.78 2.34 5.27  across a  line.
Try to remember as  you move  across.
Reading  numbers is not  like reading a narrative.
Either control insert leftor right arrow doesn't work--but was advertised to
do so--or  it takes 2 or 3  efforts to  move across a  number (version 5)
or the  number is chopped up  with 4.5xx.
Yes,  in the  strictest sense of the word reading, the numbers are  read but
so badly that one can''t do it for 9 hours.
Freedom Scientific told me in person that thiswould work easily in X P and
this has been a   listed feature for JAWS 5 as of August on the F S site.