Re: jaws and new computer

  • From: "Adam Daou" <adam.daou@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 20:08:48 -0500

Hi Mary,
Here is how I will do my troubleshooting although you haven't mentioned if
you have a Desktop or a Laptop. Some Laptops have a built-in Keypad, some
have an external one, and I have seen others with both, which is really
strange.  Anyway, whether you have a Laptop or a Desktop, I will first
assess the functionality of my keyboard using the friendly Notepad. It would
have been better to provide the name of the word  processor you're using to
do your text selection. In Notepad with the Jaws PC cursor on, type a few
lines of text, then test your Home key, End key, and arrow keys wherever
they are, keypad included and check your Num Lock switch. You can try
anything here with one of your keyboards. Try to select a text in Notepad
and see how Jaws reacts. Make sure you are typing in an Edit Area. Remember,
in XP some applications including Jaws decide to sleep for a while. You can
wake them up using Alt Tab. If  Notepad experience works, then the problem
is between Jaws and the other word processing you're using, not the
keyboard. If  Notepad doesn't work at all, then we have a problem between
the keyboard.and Jaws. If Jaws is in its PC cursor mode, I would leave it
alone because it tends to act as a talking spy. It just follows what you're
typing and reads the edited text while navigating. The last thing I would
mention here in order to be fair: there are situations where keyboarding
might be interrupted or corrupted by other hidden applications internally or
externally. Anyway, keep us posted with more details. I'm sure we'll find an
explanation  as well as a solution.
Best regards,
Adam