Re: jaws and AT&T Aircard

  • From: Alex Midence <alex.midence@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 00:47:01 -0500

Hi,
It could very well be that Jaws doesn't support this application at all. Rather, the way in which that app is written doesn't provide Jaws with any information that it can then relay to your friend. Have you tried using another screen reader to see if it can be used? Nvda is a free one you can download. It's pretty basic but it may do the trick at least until a new version of Jaws comes along and potentially gets enhanced such that this app is readable. It is sometimes necessary to switch between screen readers when one isn't reading something properly. I, for instance, use Jaws for about 95% of everything I do on a pc. However, from time to time, I find I have to close Jaws down and launch NVDA because there are a few things it reads better than Jaws. I even have a demo of Window eyes on my machine which I may launch from time to time as well. For instance, Jaws doesn't read anything in the outline tab of powerpoint 2007 but, Window Eyes does. Jaws does poorly with OpenOffice but, NVDA does ok with it. And, of course, there's always Narrator. It's funny but, there have been many times when narrator was able to pick up on stuff Jaws missed.

Good luck and I hope you can help her out.
Alex

Mike Thomas wrote:
Hello,
I am trying to help someone using JFW 11 and Windows 7 on an HP laptop.  She
has just received her AT&T aircard and is connecting the Aircard through a
USB dongle.  The problem is that JAWS sees practically nothing in the AT&T
connection manager software, including the connect and disconnect buttons
for 3G or EDGE cellular networks.  The AT&T Aircard device is manufactured
by LG.  anyone been able to use JAWS with the AT&T connection manager
software shipped with their Aircard?  Are there other ways to use the AT&T
Aircard?
Thanks.

Alternative archives located at:

Alternative archives located at: