Re: jaws 5.1

  • From: "Greg Epley" <gregepley@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 11:43:17 -0500

The most recent information, from several weeks ago, was a tentative release
date sometime in the second quarter 2004.  Second quarter ends as of June 30
by most calendars, but companies sometimes go on a slightly different
schedule depending on what they consider their period for "second quarter".
There is also the issue that FS is really wanting to roll out the new
internet based authorization scheme they've been trying to work the bugs out
of with the release of 5.1, so who knows if that or something else will
delay it or they'll decide to just go ahead and release 5.1 and work more on
the new authorization scheme some more.

I sent a suggestion to FS wondering why they didn't have any kind of email
list to notify users of when they post updates for download, and also some
kind of early reminder for when one's SMA needed to be renewed.  It's kind
of hard to keep up with it all when you don't know what or when FS is going
to react.  This is not that hard to do, they just need to work out a system
and get people in it.  I realize it wouldn't help users who aren't regularly
on the internet, but if it cuts down phone calls and support emails asking
questions about the release of new products, product updates or current
state of a SMA, it would be worth the initial work.
-Greg Epley