Re: installing JFD

  • From: "david poehlman" <poehlman1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 08:06:30 -0400

To do this in .98 requires the writing of or modifying of an bat file.  Jaws
for dos will load and unload when the dos box is envoked.  You also have to
tell jaws to go to sleep when the dos box loads.  There used to be a setting
for using dos screen reader in a dos box but I don't know if it still exists
because I have been using an nt based system of one kind or another for
quite some time now, but I think they took that setting out.  That's why you
have to make sure that jaws for windows goes to sleep when the dos prompt
loads.

You can have the computer start in dos and if jaws for dos is installed
properly, it should come up talking.  If you switch to a dos box and all is
set up as it should be, jaws for windows will go to sleep and jaws for dos
will load and talk.  I do not remember the particulars on this but there
used to be a help file that explained how to set up a dos screen reader to
work with jaws.  If you can get this to work, it is much better than using
jaws for windows in a dos box because you get a lot more info automatically
spoken out of it and it is easier to use and navigate dos applications.  I
used to do this with windows.95 and word perfect 5.1 and it worked like a
charm.