To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2006 3:50 PM
Subject: Re: hotkey for shutdown?

Hi,
I've been hesitating to ask this, because I'm afraid I may be missing
something obvious, and I don't wish to be insulting if there's some sort of
serious problem I don't know about that needs solving. But I'll ask anyway,
because I'm so curious after following this thread. First of all, how could
it be that people are skilled enough with their computers to be
participating in a mailing list like this one, and yet don't know how to
shut down their computers even in the standard manner? I honestly don't
understand that. Aren't basic instructions provided when someone gets a
computer? You just exit your running applications and, now on the desktop,
either put up the Start menu by pressing the left Start key, or the Windows
key on the right, or Control Escape. Then press U for the Shut Down command
and then choose U from the dialogue that opens, unless you want to restart,
which means pressing R or alt R, and so forth, just as the dialogue
instructs you. Or, as some folks have said, you can just exit your running
applications so that you're just on the desktop, and then press the good old
Alt F4 keystroke combo that's a nearly universal way to exit something in
Windows, and then respond to that same dialogue with your choice as
described above.

either of these two methods takes far less time to execute than to describe,
just a matter of a few seconds and a few keystrokes that become second
nature without much effort. So, I'm wondering, why especially does anyone
need a hotkey for any of this?

as I said above, this is a sincere question, not sarcastic. Can anyone
explain what inspired this thread so that I can get whatever it is that I'm
missing, in case it's a window onto a new, critically efficient computer
operation I might profit by learning?

thanks,
Daniel

----- Original Message ----- From: "harry bates" <hdbates@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>