re: getting used to the new version of JAWS

  • From: "Patricia" <bcsarah.fan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "JAWS users list" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 15:31:22 -0700

Hi:

just thought I would put in my two cents here as well.

I've had JAWS 9 installed on my computer since before Christmas, and admit i
have only used it once or twice. I, too have to get used to it, and the thing
that is turning me off is not the fact that I have to get used to a new
configuration as in the way a dialogue such as the verbosity dialogue is set
up, for me it's the fact thatFS got rid of the classic laptop layout. For me it
just isn't practical to switch to JAWS 9 when I'm wanting speed and accuracy.
Does anyone know why the change? there was no explanation. I know that they've
had the regular laptop setting for some time now, but I just never swithed
because classic was what I had become accustomed to. I've heard from others
that the regular layout is better and that I will get used to it quickly but
when you are a student and you're looking for speed it isn't always appropriate
to start learning a whole new layout when you're trying to do your schoolwork
as well.

I don't know, just my thoughts. I would have loved to have a little more
explanation as to why FS got rid of the classic laptop layout. If it were kept
I know I would have been switched to JAWS 9 a long time ago. but that will be a
summer project, I think. and the other thing  Ihate about the regular laptop
layout is that when you press the capslock key, because that is now your JAWS
key you have to press it twice to activate writing in upper case letters, which
doesn't make for a fluid transition for me personally. how I wish  Ihad my
desktop in these circumstances!

Patricia