RE: freedom scientific weird numerical system

  • From: "jim grimsby Jr." <jimgrims@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 17:01:01 -0700

First you are not  dealing with the math system here.  you are dealing with
version numbers.
So let me explain how this works.  9.0 would be the version number.
This means it is a upgrade.   Anything a signal digit that equals a 0 after
the first point is a upgrade.  Now we add the second point.  This is the
internal number of times the program has been built.  So 9.0.1 would be the
first build of 9.0 etc.
Updated build  are maid and put out when not enough changes has been made to
deserve a new version number these can be thought of as servus packs.  So
let's say you put out 9.0.1 and then built the program 99 times after this
and are ready to put out a servus relece it will be 9.0.100 because this
version as been built 100 times.  Ok so when does a program deserve a new
version number.  Well this is up to the company in question.  This usually
happens when new features have been added verses bug fixes.  In the case of
jaws only one new feature was added so the company decided not to change the
version number.  The reasons for not wanting to change the version number is
simple.  Changing the version number means that they would have to stop
using the older version of the cd they still have in stock.  It would also
mean that you could not use the update jaws system you would have to
download and install the wholed program etc.  so unless something major gets
change you are going to see a build number.
2.  your point about a  refrigeration unit is not valid.  Refrigeration
units are not be updated where you can apply the updates as a user of the
unit.  So the internal information is useless to you.  So there would be no
point in making said information available to you.  If you want to compare a
thing let us compare two like things.  Let's say versions of jaws and
versions of skype.  Oh buy the way they also use the same build system.  Or
we could talk about the firmware on your dish network box oh buy the way  it
also uses a build system.  Hmm for so many people to be using this system is
must be working.
3.  as for your point about math as I said let's compare two like thing.
All the second point is for is to show you how many times the program has
been built.  So a like thing would be hearing the beetles no reply take 22
verses 16.  So take 16 would be .0.16 and 23 would be .0.23.  ok hope that
makes everything real real clear.
From: "jim grimsby Jr." <jimgrims@xxxxxxxxxxx>

It is how every company who makes software lists it. It is not for the end
user it is so they can keep track of updates etc. let's show you some
examples
Skype Version 3.8.0.115
Winamp Version 5.5.3.1938
Microsoft Office Outlook Version 12.0.6300.5000
Get the idea?
From: MarkF

Is it just me and all the people I have talked to. numerically speaking jaws

9.00.522 should be the latest update NOT 9.00.2152

This is not the way versions numbers should be labeled .2 comes before .5.

Has anyone else thought this strange?

Mark

The beginning of strife is [like] letting out water, So abandon the quarrel
before it breaks out.

Checked by AVG.
7:44 AM