RE: fonts

Here's an extract from the Help for Microsoft Word: "When using larger
font sizes, JAWS may only inconsistently report information at the
insertion point. To correct this, adjust the zoom settings under the
View menu to 75% or 50%."  I believe that advice applies to all versions
of JAWS between 4.02 and 7.10. I usually try and set Word to default to
Normal view too, although I don't know why as I don't think this is
mentioned anywhere in JAWS help as a preferred setting!

I've played around with fonts a bit in various versions of Microsoft
Word and found the best results in terms of correct reporting from JAWS
are got from Verdana. I'm not claiming to have tried all of them, but it
certainly seems better than either the Word default of Times New Roman
or the often-used Arial.

As to fonts that are easy to read and nice to look at, I think this is a
personal view and you may be entering a minefield in trying to get one
font that suits everybody. The organisation I work for uses Arial as its
default, and Verdana is similar in that it's a sans serif font, albeit
the characters are a lot more spread out. One problem with Arial is that
there is no visible distinction between a lower case l and an upper case
I; with Verdana there is.

---
Steve Griffiths,
IT Trainer, Access Technology Support Unit
Royal National Institute of the Blind
105 Judd Street
London WC1H 9NE
Tel: 020 7391 2232