Re: fix for jaws speeding up

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 12:41:17 -0700

Linda,

May I add something to this?  The reason Jaws speeds up as it does when you
page down, is because this is a deliberate command to make for that purpose
*while* Jaws is reading in any of its continual modes, such as Say All.
It's supposed to do this.  There isn't anything wrong.  So here are a couple
of suggestions:

to prevent this happening in the first place, make sure to press page down
only when Jaws isn't in the midst of reading.  an extra trick I sometimes
use to make sure it won't happen, even when I've interrupted continuous
reading, is to press the PC cursor key, Num Pad plus.

And, if you forget to be careful, and Jaws starts over reading the beginning
of the last Say All section and speeds up, just press page up while it's
reading, to reverse the slowing.

Also, of course, when everything's quiet, you can increase or decrease
reading speed by pressing page up or page down in conjunction with the
control and/or shift keys, but I just forgot how to do this, though I do it
all the time.  Please, someone remind me!

Anyway, this should be an easier approach than unloading and relaunching the
program.

Of course, when jaws isn't speaking at all, you can deliberately speed up or
slow down with nterruped to interrupt