exploring jaws:

  • From: "David Poehlman" <poehlman1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "jfw users email list" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 10:47:28 -0500

Hi all,  Now that the new version of jaws (v5.0) has been out for a while, I
thought I'd revisit the topic of how to get answers to questions like What
is on mouse over and how do I turn it off and what is sounds manager, voice
aliases etc.

In jaws settings there is a neat little feature that explaines each and
every button.  Let me know if it does not work for you or let us know.  The
way to get at this info is to press jaws key+f1.  an example is below and
while it is not deffinitive, there is more info abailable in jaws help and
in help for each jaws dialog.
then, pressing jaws key+f1 yeilds:
This check box tells JAWS to indicate the attribute of HTML
elements on web pages.  For example, HTML allows the author of a page to set
an
OnClick event for most HTML elements to run specified code such as
JavaScript or Visual Basic
Script when clicked with the left mouse button.

The default is for this selection to be checked.

Press ESC to close this message.

No, you cannot in this case above with the message here close it with esc
but you will close the entire message instead which would be unfortunate
because I have more to say.

Why you ask yourself am I writing on this topic and clutering up the list.
The answer is simple.  The answers to many questions asked can be found by
using the very tool to find the answers that you use to help you write the
questions.  I know time is precious and I know that we are dealing with
different levels of familiarity and other factors with jaws and computers.
I would hope though that the hard work that has bone into providing
tutorials and help systems for jaws would not be lost in the quick question.
I would also caution you that not every answer you get from the list is
accurate but jaws will never lie to you about what key does what or almost
never.