RE: dell agony continued

  • From: Adrian Spratt <Adrian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 22:23:33 -0400

Dorothy,

You have a knack for posting off-topic messages without sustaining the wrath
of James the moderator and for drawing other listers in, now including me.
As someone with a background in consumer protection, I feel compelled to say
that people need to know your fears aren't groundless. Two years ago I was
put in a threatening situation not once, but twice, with different workers
while my home was being renovated.

When about to receive a visit from a subcontractor who is a stranger, we
must anticipate how we will handle the situation. One idea is to alert the
main contractor, in this case Dell, ahead of time that we may not feel
comfortable signing a form confirming satisfactory service. At that point,
they will be forced to work something out that doesn't put you in this
terrible position. Other strategies occur to me, but they would make this
reply even longer. to offer some semblance of JAWS relevance, if you have a
scanner, you could insist that the tech guy hand you the form to perform
OCR. I discourage anyone from relying on the person to read it aloud. You
never know what clauses might be passed over.

Now that I'm on an off-topic limb, I want to say I was disappointed with an
earlier message in this thread that referred to an Indian customer service
center. Indian JAWS users have made their presence felt in a positive way on
this list. I have had good experiences with Indian customer services, one in
particular that solved a problem their counterparts here in the U.S.
couldn't. True, I've had some difficulty understanding foreign accents, but
I've had just as much difficulty interpreting the lilts of service reps in
Louisiana in this country and even northern England, where I'm from
originally. If a service center comes across as powerless or ineffectual,
its staff is not to blame. the blame lies with their cost-cutting
contractors.

  _____