Re: completely uninstalling jaws

Hi;

JAWS has one of the better set of uninstallation scripts around.  Some
uninstallers do leave keys and values in the registry that will, in all
likelyhood, cause abnormal software operation under some circumstances,
however, the keys and values that JAWS leaves behind, some of which are auto
generated by Windows, won't cause abnormal software operation.  So, unless
you really know what you are doing when editing a registry, I would leave
them in there, as editing the wrong keys and values will cause your system
to develop unexpected behaviour, and wil probably require you to format your
hard drive and start again.

Whilst uninstallation of any software is an important aspect when
transferring machines between owners, so as to remain within the conditions
defined in the individual EULAs for each piece of software, security of
personal data should also be considered.  When you delete files, such as
those in My Documents, they're not actually deleted, even when you empty the
Recycle Bin.  The 1's and 0's that represent the data on the hard drive are
still present, and all that happens is that the file name in the file
allocation table changes to indicate that the sectors previously occupied by
that file can be written to once more.  Therefore, if someone were to come
along with an unerase tool, such as Unerase Wizard from Symantec, they could
recover those files without too many problems.  The only way to ensure this
doesn't happen, is to overwrite those sectors of the hard drive.  This
happens quite a lot in normal use, where you're deleting files and then
overwriting that space with new files, but if you're deleting files prior to
handing the machine over, then these new files are unlikely to be created
and there's nothing to overwrite the old data on the hard drive.  There's
two ways to get around this.  Firstly, you can format the hard drive and
reinstall Windows and all the necessary device drivers, or you can use a
tool such as WipeInfo, which is part of Norton Utilities from Symantec, to
write a set of 1's and 0's to the free space on your hard drive, overwriting
all that personal data with garbage.

It's certainly something worth considering, and not something a lot of
people are aware of, as recently highlighted on BBC Breakfast News, when
they ran a piece on a report highlighting this security vulnerability in
businesses.

Will

Microsoft MVP (Visual Developer/VC++)
For more information on the MVP Program, go to:
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com