changing voice volume

  • From: "Jerry Neufeld" <jerry.neufeld@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 22:11:03 -0500

Some days ago, several people posted messages about the inability to adjust
the volume setting of Eloquence. Although there are seemingly well-conceived
scripts in the default script source file for Jaws 6.0, namely,
IncreaseVoiceVolume and DecreaseVoiceVolume, neither script works for any of
the four soft synthesizers available with 6.0. FS developers are apparently
aware of this since they have assigned no keystrokes in default.jkm for
these two scripts, at least none that I have seen. In the voice settings of
the Jaws options menu, volume is explicitly stated to be adjusted by system
controls. Either the two scripts referred to above have bugs in them or they
have been included for non-specified soft synthesizers, the latter a little
puzzling in my view. Since Eloquence is the default soft synthesizer for
Jaws and since scripts, specifically written for adjustment of voice
parameters for soft synths, are included in the default script source file,
I would expect such scripts to adjust all parameters, including volume,
unless otherwise specified, in documentation and in source code files.

I'm going to take a closer look at the script files and attempt to contact
the developers of Eloquence, or whatever name the software people give it,
and write back to the list, should I discover anything of substance.

Cheers,

Jerry