RE: buying a computer

  • From: "Cy" <cselfridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 13:22:57 -0600

Dale,
Stated speed is really misleading indeed.
The AMD processors do not determine their speed the way that Intel does.
The Pentium processors state cycle speed but the AMD processors state
instruction peed much like the "MIPS" used by mainframe computers.
It may well take more than 1 cycle to execute an instruction. I believe
that several years ago there was a term called Whetstone" which was a
specific series of instructions which the processor was to execute in
order to determine exactly how much punch it really had.
My son has a Toshiba laptop with the AMD 64 bit processor.
Cy, the Ancient Okie... withd