Re: about using DecTalk with JAWS

  • From: "AB7HW Dick Lee Chrisman" <ab7hw@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 13:28:19 -0700

Hello Group
There are many reasons for using a DecTalk External Voice Synthesizer
connected to the Serial port or any External Voice Synthesizer.  I have a
DecTalk external model running on a Windows 98SE computer, but it will also
run on a Windows XP computer since as I said it connects to the Serial port.
The main reason I use a DecTalk is that when using a Eloquence software
Synthesizer it is almost impossible to hear the JAWS commands or help files
while listening to music or a Audio program.  Yet while having a DecTalk
connected and operating you can control either Synthesizer Voice
individually with ease.
So it is not simply a Cult atmosphere, it is for more control over the
voices.  Both the Eloquence and the DecTalk operate at the same time.  There
are many times I need to hear what has popped up on the screen, like say a
error message or something that can be destructive, you can not turn down
one Voice with out turning down the Audio of anything running while using
only the Eloquence Voice Synthesizer.
You can buy a used DecTalk External Voice Synthesizer for under $400.00 you
can also buy a New Triple Talk USB for about $500.00 and it is pretty good
sounding, good enough for me to correct any errors or messages needing
immediate attention!
Dick