Re: a frustrating video problem Nvidia issues?

  • From: "Barry G" <lister@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 09:16:38 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, September 08, 2008 10:59 PM
Subject: RE: a frustrating video problem

Missy,

I'm sure the information bar issue is not related to your video problem.

As for the state of on/off items not being read, it may be that the
state is indicated by a checkmark or some other graphic.  You'll need
some sighted help with this, and then turn on graphics to "all" and see
if you can find some graphics which indicate when an item is selected.
If you can, then try labeling them and see if jaws will speak them as
you arrow up and down.

I have intermittent problems of a very similar nature with jaws, an
nvidiHi Folks - are there known issues with using an Nvidia card? I had purchased an HP business machine with this card on board and it arrived dead with the video card not working. It has been returned for a refund and I was about to search for another HP machine... Are the Nvidia cards to be avoided? IF so, what video cards are known to be good?

All the best,
Barry Ga card, and vista.  In that case it just depends on how things are
when I boot; sometimes jaws won't read any of these things we're
discussing, but when I reboot, it then does fine.

FS tech support had me reinstall more than 6 times, under differing
conditions, which made no difference.  I too updated drivers which made
no difference.  They finally said something to me about having problems
with NVidia cards, then they said it shouldn't matter in vista.

I've heard bad things about xp media edition and jaws accessibility, so
you might ask FS tech support if that could be the problem.

Good luck,

Chip

Chip Orange
Database Administrator