Re: Zipping and Attaching Multiple Docs in OE6

  • From: "Margaret Thomas" <iluvtoread@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 16:25:36 -0400

Rebecca and All,

    I must confess that I've only used the zip and e-mail method to
zip  and send files.  I found a post from Debbie Scales from the old
JFWlite list with instructions for zipping files with WinZip.  I've
zipped the first file, but my brain isn't working today and I'm
getting confused. I'm all set until step 5 of the instructions.  I
don't know how computer literate my recipient is, so I think it might
be a good idea to have separate zipped documents rather than several
zipped files contained within one big file with a .zip extension.

    Debbie wrote:

Here is my attempt at explaining how to zip files with winzip.
If I haven't been clear,
please let me know and I would be happy to explain in more detail.  I
hope
this helps.

1.  Select the first file that you want to zip.
2.  Right click (numpad star) and arrow down and choose add to zip.
3.  Winzip will come up and say that it is adding that file to the
archive
and you will be in an edit box.  The default name of the file will be
the
name of the file plus the extension zip.  You can change the name of
the zip
file at that point if you wish.
4.  Add is the default button, so you can hit enter.
5.  If you want to add more files to the zip file, leave the winzip
window
up
and alt tab once and it will put you back in the directory you
selected the
first file from.
6.  Choose the next file and repeat the above steps until you are
done and then close winzip with alt f4.

You will need to refresh your screen to find the zipped file listed in
the
directory.

If you want to zip all the files in a directory, select the folder
name and
right click on it and choose add to zip as above, but make sure you
tab and
make sure the checkbox that says folder include
subfolders is checked.  When you create a zipped file from a folder,
you
will find the zipped file on the same level as the folder you created.
For
example if you had a folder called C:\folderxyz, with five files in
it, you
would find then find C:\folderxyz.zip on the same level on the C
drive.
This is different then if you went into the folderxyz folder and
zipped
files
one by one.  If you do it one by one as I explained at the
beginning, then you would find the file folderxyz.zip located inside
the
folderxyz folder.
I hope that makes sense.

    Can someone please help get me pass step 4?

    Thanks again,
Margaret
"Pickrell, Rebecca M." <rebecca.pickrell@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi. If you want to email a bunch of documents and you want each
document zipped but not as one large zip file, just zip the files
individually and when you go to email them, select the zipped files
not the unzipped ones.