Xilinx compatebility with Jaws

  • From: "Lorne Webber" <lorneweb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 12:39:38 -0700

Hello Group:

I apologize, this may seem a bit beyond the scope of this list, however you'll see where I'm going with this.

  I am almost finished my minor in computing science, and the last course I
have to do starting January is a course on Computer Organization and
Architecture, where we will be learning about things like Digital circuits,
combinational systems, memory, register transfer, control logic design, CPU
design, and advanced topics on micro-architectures.
The text we will be referring to during the course is: Contemporary Logic
Design, by Randy Katz & Gaetano Borriello.
there is also a lab component where we will be using Field-programmable gate
arrays (FPGA's) and  the ISE software by Xilinx to program them, in the VHDL
language.
We will also be using a software tool called Sonata to test our code before
sending them to the FPGA's.

I was wondering if any of you have ever had any experience with the ISE software
or Sonata, and have any advice as how to best adapt them to working with Jaws,
if possible.

also, while the FPGA's have a couple L E D indicators on them (like the
calculator displays) and thus are not accessible, I was thinking of ordering a
light probe to give me a bit more independence with them.
Have any of you ever used a light probe, and can you give me some advice as to
the brand that might best serve my needs?

finally, if any of you have ever studied any of the above subjects, do you have
any advice or tips as to good resources for learning about this material?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Lorne