  From: Tom Lange
  To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2011 20:49
  Subject: Re: Worth upgrading to JAWS 12 from 11 question

  Hi Ed,
  You wrote, in part:
  We are, however, upgrading to Office 2010 in about 60days.
    So, if I'm stuck with the ribbons, won't I need JAWS 12?

    Yeah, it would probably be a good idea to upgrade in that case, since
Office 2010 was a little dicey with version 11 when I tried it a while back.

    Is it actually possible to use Office 2010's ribbons with a keyboard?

    Yes, they're quite usable.

    What I've heard generally is that ribbons are unworkable and that without
the JAWS virtual ribbons, Office 2010 is unusable.
    I suspect that's an overstatement.  I believe that there are people using
WindowEyes and System Access with Office 2010, and I more than suspect that
neither of those screen readers offers the virtual ribbons feature.

    To my knowledge, those screen readers don't have the virtual ribbons
feature.
    I think what you're hearing about the unusability of the ribbons has a lot
to do with people's comfort level with the ribbon interface. While they can be
problematic for some, they are, in my opinion, quite useful and in fact, I
prefer to use the ribbbons as they are rather than mess around with the virtual
ribbons.  One issue that I have with the virtual ribbons, and it's a biggie, is
that you cannot use the key tips.

    At the same time, I'm pretty busy and really don't have time to learn a
whole new interface.
    I find my self challenged as it is in learning Google Docs, which I've been
required to do for a particularly significant client.
    So, I guess the question raised in the subject line still remains.

    Well, when you're not in crunch mode, take some time to really explore the
ribbon interface and while you're doing it, make a note of key tips for
functions that you'll be most likely to use. You can pick your favorite ones
and add them to your quick access toolbar, which, although limited in size, can
be customized to suit your taste.  Each of the items in the quick access
toolbar can be accessed with alt plus a number, as in alt+1, alt+2, alt+3, et
cetera et cetera. I like that, actually. For example, alt+1 could be used for
the font dialog, alt+2 for the paragraph dialog, and alt+3 for page setup.
Just some ideas.

      Hope this helps.

    Tom