Windows Live messenger 8.1, JAWS 8, and announcing whose signing in

  • From: Chris Skarstad <toonhead@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 00:43:27 -0600

                        Hi folks
I wanted to make the subject line as clear as possible. here's the question. Recently Windows Live messenger 8.1 was released, and I was asked earlier by the program if i wanted to upgrade to the latest version. I said yes and it installed perfectly ok and I can read messages and all that works fine.

However, with this latest version, JAWS 8.0, for whatever reason, seems to be trunkating the names of people when they sign in. To make myself completely clear here, if someone signs in, you'll hear, so and so has just signed in. If this screen name is particularly long, JAWS 8 will read only part of the screen name, and then out of nowhere you'll hear ...

So in the above example, instead of hearing, looking for a good mp3 recorder has just signed in, , JAWS now says something like, looking for a goo... has just signed in. It didn't do this type of thing in windows live messenger version 8 and I'm just trying to find out if there's a way that I can either fix it with a tweak in JAWS, or if it can be fixed some other way either by me, or through the help of someone else? Now keep in mind that if i arrow through my contact list in windows live messenger, all the names are completely spoken and all that seems to be fine. however when someone signs in, I'd like to be able to hear their full name instead of it getting to a certain point and then going ... at the end. That just doesn't seem quite right. So if anyone knows a fix for this, I'd be greatful!