RE: Why is jaws such a big screw up!

  • From: "jim grimsby" <jimgrims@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 15:27:39 -0700

Show you what.  It is a little off topic to be going in to window eyes
works better here and jaws works better here and so on. Not only that we
would be writing messages for days.
But to give an example I have a mirc script called invision witch I run
here all the time on my computer system running a demo of window eyes
for I do not own a copy wish I did sadly I do not have the funds to own
them both window eyes locks up after the welcome to invision screen.
Jaws on the other hand does not.  I have no idea if window eyes locks up
using this script on any other pc for I have not tested it.  I saspect
it is not a window eyes problem but some thing the mirc script does that
while window eyes is loaded causes my system to be unstable.
Now I am working in mirc msn
Jaws kills the list views and reads nothing useful while window eyes
reads parts but not all of the info
Now nairater reads this list view like a dream. Just goes to show you
where thing can be deffernt.  Another one a few years ago I was
installing office 2000 on a windows me computer for a client. I was
using window eyes for that was going to be his screen reader of choice.
Every time I got to the auto run screen the system fell  over and
restarted.  Finely went and installed window bridge and used it to
install.  Window bridge had no problems with the same screen. The next
week I was doing the same thing and using window eyes again.  Guess what
no problems at all.  It was some thing to do with the way window eyes
the os and office were working together or in this case not working
together to lead to the problem.   Finaly I use gold wave.  A user the
other day was saying he has been having problems jumping to cues. In
reverce with it.  Well I tried to reproduce this with no luck I do not
dout that he is having the problem but there is some thing about the way
goldwave is working on his system that is causeing a problem.  We have
another user that keeps crashing while trying to record.  I saspect here
again that she has sound drivers issues.  You see there are so many
questions about interaction and system performace and software
combanations.  And I have been working with computer now for 16 years
and I have yet to see 2 systems alike.  Even my own systems. George bell
used to day lets blaim window bridge because it is the easyist to blaim
and lets egnore the fact that there are all kinds of other things going
on in your system.  Well that is not an exact quote from thoughs days
but it makes the point.
Well we have now digressed off the topic of why jaws does the things it
does.  So I am going to close here by reminding you that if you have
more then just plain windows and jaws installed you are going to find
comflix some where at some time.  Now the macentash is coming out with
there own screen reader witch is going to be more stable with out
comflix it will work with all theapple programs and some other that
comform to there standards.  That is grait but now you luse the freedom
of choice.  That matters to me.  This is why I am monitering the open
sorce  progect like gnome and kde as soon and some grait workable
programs come along for these I will kiss windows a not so fond good
bye.  But for now windows is your best bet with jaws and window eyes
being closs to equal.