What A Screen Reader User Can Set Up to Un Mute your Computer

  • From: "Ray Campbell" <ray.campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "GWMicro List" <gw-info@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 15:33:04 -0600

Hello All:

I sent out a suggestion yesterday that both Gw Micro and Freedom
Scientific set up a keystroke in Window-Eyes and JAWS, Respectively, to
un mute one's computer if the sound becomes muted.  I got several good
suggestions back, especially the Quick Mix program.

As screen reader users, it's probably a good idea to have something set
up ahead of time so that if we ever get muted, we can fairly easily un
mute.  I did an experiment and it worked, so Here is what I did.  Keep
in mind DO THIS BEFORE YOU GET Muted.

1.  Go to the start menu.
2.  Press "p" to get to All Programs.  If your start menu has more than
one thing starting with "p" on it, such as "Printers and Faxes," you'll
need to press enter to get into the programs menu.
3.  Press "a" to go to Accessories, then press enter.
4.  Press "e" to go to the Entertainment sub menu.  In most cases, you
won't have to press enter because Entertainment is the only thing on the
accessories sub menu starting with the letter "e."
5.  Arrow down to "Volume Control."  Do not press enter.
6.  Press the Applications key, third key to the right of the space bar.
7.  Press "r" to bring up the properties of the volume control shortcut
which is what you arrowed down to in the entertainment sub menu.
8.  Press tab two times until you hear "Short cut key." When you hear
this, type a key combination you'd like to use to get to the volume
control from anywhere.  I used ctrl-alt-v.
9. Press enter.

It would be good to test this before the day your computer becomes
muted.  Press ctrl-alt-v or whatever short cut key you chose.  Make sure
you hear "Master volume Control."  If you do not, then repeat the steps
above for setting up the short cut.

If you hear Master Volume, then you know the short cut key works.  Tab
two times to the "Mute All," check box.  It should be unchecked.  Press
space bar to check it.  Your screen reader will go silent.

Press alt-F4 to close down the volume control.  Now, you are about to do
exactly what you will do if your computer ever becomes muted.

Press ctrl-alt-v or whatever short cut key you set up.  Tab twice and
press space bar.  This will turn off the mute all check box and your
screen reader will start speaking again.

Thanks,

Ray Campbell, Help Desk Technician
Adaptive Technology Center
Chicago Lighthouse for People Who Are Blind or Visually Impaired
1850 W. Roosevelt Road
Chicago, IL  60608
312-997-3651 (Voice/Relay) or
888-825-0080 (voice/Relay)