From: "Marquette, Ed" <Ed.Marquette@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: "jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date sent: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 11:53:18 -0500
Subject: Wasted Keyboard Real Estate

This may be more a philosophical question than anything else, but it has been bugging me. So, I've set aside (for the moment) other pressing matters to see if anyone else sees this the way I do. Somewhere in JAWS development someone came up with the idea of a kind of key sequence as contrasted with key combinations. I'm not talking about a "mode" switch such as JAWS key plus Z to turn on the quick keys in MS Word. Rather, I'm talking about the JAWS key in combination with the spacebar followed by R, in the case of Research It, or S, in the case of synthesizer silence. Actually, those appear to be the only two keys that ever follow the JAWS key plus spacebar combination. It just seems like a ton of keyboard real estate opens up with this key sequence. Do you suppose Freedom Scientific plans to add more keys? Would there be a way for JAWS script writers to use this key sequence to enable all sorts of new functionality without having to come up with new, even more wrist straining, knuckle cracking twisted key combinations? I can think of dozens of nifty uses for keys to follow the JAWS key plus spacebar starter keystroke. It just seems that Freedom Scientific is wasting the other 24 alphabetic keys, not to mention the numbers, and the alphabetic keys in combination with shift, alt, and control and so on. The two commands that Freedom Scientific has assigned to follow the JAWS key plus spacebar don't really logically relate to each other at all either. OK. I'll get back on my couch now and talk to my shrink and leave you all alone.

ANY FEDERAL TAX ADVICE CONTAINED IN THIS MESSAGE SHOULD NOT BE USED OR REFERRED TO IN THE PROMOTING, MARKETING OR RECOMMENDING OF ANY ENTITY, INVESTMENT PLAN OR ARRANGEMENT, AND SUCH ADVICE IS NOT INTENDED OR WRITTEN TO BE USED, AND CANNOT BE USED, BY A TAXPAYER FOR THE PURPOSE OF AVOIDING PENALTIES UNDER THE INTERNAL REVENUE CODE.
This E-mail message is confidential, is intended only for the named recipient(s) above and may contain information that is privileged, attorney work product or otherwise protected by applicable law. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender at 402-346-6000 and delete this E-mail message.
Thank you.