Using the Proof Reading Schemes

  • From: Edward Marquette <emarquette@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 22:08:55 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

There was an earlier thread speaking about the easiest way to do proofreading
in Microsoft Word.  In one post, I made several suggestions, offering different
alternatives, depending upon individual preferences.  Unfortunately, the thread
wondered way off topic.
Just before the end of the thread's life, someone wrote in perplexed about the
purpose of using the Alt-JAWS Key-S key combination.  If someone explained this
very powerful proof reading tool, I missed it.  I get the list in digest mode;
so, I easily could have skipped over it.
Because I brought up the option, I felt I should explain it.
JFW offers Speech and Sound Schemes.  Most of the time, the Classic works fine.
 When, however, you absolutely have to be certain that a document looks
perfect, consider turning on the "proof reading" speech and sound scheme.
Within Word, if you press the apparently awkward (for some) key combination of
JAWS Key plus Alt plus S, one is placed in a list box.
If you hit the letter "P", you will land on the first of at least 2 "Proof
Reading" schemes.  By default, this will enounciate capital letters with "Cap"
before a capitalized word.  "Solid Caps" will be called out for a word in all
upper case.  So, the gentleman who started the ill-fated thread might have
avoided capitalizing both the "N" and the "O" in the word "no," had he used
this scheme.  It also changes voices and pitch to describe attributes.
In the list box, at the very top, there is a toggle.  Until you get used to how
the different pitch and voice changes work, turn on training mode.  That way,
not only will the voice change for bold type, but JAWS will announce "bold
text."  Later, you can turn off this feature.
I don't use this scheme all the time, but I use it fairly frequently.  You can
also access the Speech and Sounds Schemes through the Configuration Manager
from the JAWS Control Pannel.
I hope this clarification helps.
Also, someone was impressed that Word's grammar checker could find places where
two spaces appeared between words.  Did you know JAWS could do this too?
Go to configuration manager.  Then, press Alt plus S.  Arrow down to "Text
Processing Options."  Under "say repeated characters," have JAWS "count
repeated characters."  When you have two spaces together, JAWS will announce
that.  Of course (dare I mention this), if you put two spaces at the end of a
sentence, it will announce those two spaces.  So, for those who favor not
putting two spaces after a period, here is a practical reason.
Well, I'm old-fashioned.  I'm keeping my two spaces.
 Happy computing.