Updating Java

  • From: "Bill White" <billwhite92701@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 15:47:47 -0700

Hello.  I am having a problem with Windows XP, JAWS 11.0.1430, and Java from
Sun MicroSystems, the add on for Internet Explorer.  It is not telling me when
an update is available.  I went online to get help as to how to change the
setting so that it will tell me when an update is available, and download it
automatically.

The article said to go to start menu/settings/control panel, and click on java.
 When I do this, the dialogue box doesn't talk.  Furthermore, when I look at it
with Insert+b or with the vertualized window, it shows no visible buttons or
setting controls.  I got a sighted person to look at my screen, and the
controls are visible and clickable for them.

Has anyone found a way around this problem with JAWS, or is it necessary for a
sighted person to change this setting?

Incidentally, my automatic updates are turned on, and in the Add or Remove
Programs section, "Show Updates" is checked.  However, if the controls are not
set in the control panel, it doesn't matter.  These settings override those in
the Add or Remove Programs section.

Thank you in advance.
Bill White billwhite92701@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx