Unchecking boxes on the menu bar

Jaws 4.51 makes a real hash of reading word documents.  As long as I haven't
pressed a key, it will read the text, but as soon as I have the unmitigated
gall to type as much as one letter, it gives up.  If I press insert down arrow
for "Say all" it will read, but the up and down cursor keys just produce
blank--blank--blank ad nauseam and finitum.
I have a suspicion, and I may be well astray of the mark, that unchecking the
print layout box may have the desired effect of having jaws read the text, as I
have paid it to do!  However, how does one remove the tick?  Pressing the
spacebar won't do it!
            Jewel