To Braille or Not to Braille

  • From: "jerry martin" <jandymartin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 12:24:52 -0500

To All:
I am currently enrolled in the NFB Braille Transcription program and have just
made it to the halfway point in my lessons.  In some of the previous messages,
I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment of the lack of braille literacy and
fluency.  However, I also have another issue.  In order to be any kind of
teacher in the field of disabilities, you have to have a teaching certificate.
And maybe I am putting the cart before the horse in taking the transcribing
course because I do not have a teaching certificate.  But I have been in touch
with a number of public schools in my area and they are interested in utilizing
my skills, once completed, in the classroom.  So, in the words of Jesus Christ,
"fear not."  There is hope; as long as I do not run out of Tylenol because
learning braille is a challenge, at best.  It is like learning English all over
again.  Jerry