RE: TextAloud scripts

  • From: "Maria Kristic" <maria6289@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 13:48:50 -0500

First off, you verify the title of your article BEFORE beginning the
conversion process (i.e., before activating the Speak > Speak Current
Article to File option). Therefore, after opening the file which you wish to
convert, SHIFT+TAB once from the text window displaying your document, and
you'll land on the Title field; the audio file will be named using the text
in the Title edit field, so ensure that it contains your desired file name
(this may be why you are not seeing a converted file in your desired output
directory, as the name should not be changed during conversion). If you want
to verify/change the voice being used for that file, SHIFT+TAB again, and
you'll land in the combo box of voices available (as determined under
Options > Voices and File Options/Voices tab), so you can use your UP/DOWN
ARROW keys to change that if desired as well. Also, in case you haven't
already, you want to verify your audio file settings under Options > Voices
and File Options/File Options tab before converting. In any case, once
you've verified the title, voice, and/or audio settings, invoke the Speak >
Speak Current Article to File command as you've been doing, and confirm the
output directory of the audio file as you've been doing. Once you've hit the
OK button to confirm the output directory, the conversion process begins; in
other words, there's nothing left to hit OK on, and you've already verified
the name of the file (that Title field is always present in the main
TextAloud window when a file is open), so it's just a matter of waiting for
the conversion to finish. As for obtaining progress information during
conversion, use JAWSKey+PageDown to read the status bar; as conversion is
taking place, it will display that this is Article 1 of 1, the title of the
article, and the amount of information (in megabytes) which has been written
to the file, but once conversion has finished, the status bar will only
display "1 article", so you will know it has completed, at which point you
should be able to find the file in your selected output directory.
Conversion may take a while for each book, as each file might be a few
hundred MB in size, depending on your audio settings. BTW, if you have many
files you want to convert, you might want to use the File > Batch File
Converter option as an alternative to converting them one by one; if you saw
my previous post on TextAloud, where I mentioned a manual (select Help >
Online Manual from the main TextAloud window, and select your preferred
format from the page which loads to access it), that manual gives details
about the Batch File Converter and practically all other aspects of the
program, as does the Online Help system of TextAloud (either hit F1 or
select Help > Contents from the main TextAloud window to access it; Batch
File Converter is a topic under the Advanced Topics book), so you might also
find those helpful as a new user. Let me know if any of this wasn't clear.

HTH,
Maria
Skype: MariaKristic
AIM: MCKristic