RE: Table command Issue

  • From: Brian and Denise Albriton <autoharp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 07:51:05 -0700 (PDT)

The earlier versions of jaws had no issue such as I'm seeing. At work for instance, I use jaws 7 with no problem.

Brian

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007, Griffiths, Steve wrote:

Tom,

I did a search on the page and on the results screen I get the same as
you. I think it's down to the way the table has been constructed; it's
not straightforward.

The results are presented in what looks like a non-uniform table, but
JAWS doesn't say that - I've not noticed before whether it ever does in
Internet Explorer? There are five columns, #, relevance, author, title
long and date. Each search result has one entry in each of the columns,
but underneath the author, title long and date cells is another one
giving the location and book number. It's like each row is split into
two half way through. Although there may be many entries in each column,
pressing Alt + Control + DownArrow in the author, title long or date
columns only goes as far as the first "merged" cell and then says bottom
of column.

What does seem to work is to press Alt + Control + LeftArrow at that
point to move back to the # column, then you can move down to the next
row and then across using the usual keys. It's cumbersome though. The
DownArrow command takes you through the table as expected, cell by cell.

I noticed as well on the search page there is a link to a text only
version of the catalogue which also has a number of search facilities. I
tried the single search term option and it gave the results
non-tabulated. Annoyingly the table is ordered by relevance and the
non-tabulated version is ordered by title, and I can't find a way to
change either of them to do a direct comparison of the results, but I
did the same search on both versions and got the same number of results.

Steve